In light of the disruption that the COVID-19 situation has caused for city officials and staff across the state, the League of California Cities has extended the Helen Putnam Awards for Excellence application deadline to provide cities additional time to complete submissions. The new deadline to apply is close of business on Friday, May 8.
Each year, the League of California Cities honors outstanding work in member cities throughout the state through the League Partner-sponsored Helen Putnam Awards for Excellence.
The award recognizes the successes of California cities that have created innovative solutions to help their communities thrive, implemented resourceful efficiencies, improved public service, and enhanced public trust and support. The award also provides a great opportunity for local communities to celebrate the work of the city.
If your city has accomplished remarkable, inventive work in any of the 12 categories listed below, now is the time to apply. The Helen Putnam Awards for Excellence are also a great opportunity to thank employees and collaborators, connect with residents, and celebrate outstanding contributions that have enhanced the city.
Award categories include:
- CCS Partnership Intergovernmental Collaboration Award
- Community Services and Economic Development
- Economic Development through the Arts
- Enhancing Public Trust, Ethics, and Community Involvement
- Health and Wellness Programs
- Housing Programs and Innovations
- Internal Administration
- League Partners Award for Excellence in City-Business Relations
- Planning and Environmental Quality
- Public Safety
- Public Works, Infrastructure, and Transportation
- Ruth Vreeland Award for Engaging Youth in City Government
Your city must be a League member to apply. To qualify, simply demonstrate that your city offered a program or service that has proven measurable and successful within a minimum of one year of actual implementation. Particular attention and credit is given to applications specifically advancing the League's strategic priorities
, which are determined each year by the board of directors.
Online entry deadline is Thursday, May 8 at 5 p.m. Submit your application online at www.helenputnam.org
Please contact Melissa Tualla
with any questions at (916) 658-8216.