The online and on-demand educational courseware video was produced by the California Debt and Investment Advisory Commission (CDIAC), which is chaired by Treasurer Ma. CDIAC will deliver the videos through a custom website that tracks a learner’s registration, progress, knowledge gained, and certification of completion.
In support of its efforts to educate public officials, the State Treasurer’s Office has formed a steering committee composed of public finance professional organizations, including cities, counties, school districts and special district finance staff. The role of the steering committee is two-fold. It provides insight into the roles and responsibilities of elected officials and will publicize the video program to elected officials. The League appreciates the contributions and dedicated efforts of Bellflower Mayor Pro Tem Juan Garza and San Francisco Department of Public Health Finance Manager Drew Murrell for volunteering to serve on this steering committee.
By 2021, Treasurer Ma anticipates that a total of nine videos will be available. The first video that was released March 28 is titled “What You Need to Know Before Issuing Debt
Treasurer Ma thanked the following local agencies and organizations for assisting in the project:
- League of California Cities;
- Association of California School Administrators;
- Association of California Water Agencies;
- California State Association of Counties;
- California Special Districts Association;
- California Association of School Business Officials;
- California Society of Municipal Finance Officers;
- California Municipal Treasurers Association;
- California School Boards Association:
- California Charter Schools Association;
- California Municipal Utilities Association;
- California Association of Sanitation Agencies;
- California Association of County Treasurers and Tax Collectors; and
- Community College League of California.