The Mayors & Council Members Executive Forum is taking place in Newport Beach, June 19 – 20. Designed for elected officials and staff who are interested in cutting-edge approaches to challenges cities faces, this conference will expand your knowledge on a wide range of topics and foster relationships with fellow elected officials.
During the two-day event, attendees will have access to the following sessions and more:
- The Hidden Costs of Tackling Homelessness — Experts will dive deeply into: strategic methods and related fiscal issues for tackling homelessness at the local level, and how to find willing partners who can help.
- A Key for City Success: Effective Communication Between the City Council and City Manager — One requirement for effective city organization is a positive city council/city manager working relationship. Attend this session to understand the role that city councils, individual council members, and the city manager play in achieving a successful relationship based on effective communication.
- But We’re Legislators, Not Judges: City Council Fair Process Requirements — When a city council hears an appeal from the planning commission, or conducts other “quasi-judicial” hearings, special fair process principles apply. The failure of city council members to comply with these principles can lead to litigation, invalidation of the city council’s action, and award of significant attorney’s fees against the city. The panel will conduct a mock city council meeting to highlight how these principles operate in the real world.
After the conference, stay for the Advanced Leadership Workshops
. These six-hour workshops provide attendees an opportunity to immerse themselves in a particular topic of interest, including:
- City Finances — What You Need to Know;
- Cannabis Regulation: Best Practices for Your City; or
- Level Up Your Leadership: Mastering Your Role as a Council Member, Community Leader and Colleague.
There is a separate registration for both events.
For Executive Forum
, registration is $375 for League-member city elected officials and staff, which includes admission to Wednesday and Thursday sessions, the Wednesday evening networking reception and Thursday’s breakfast and luncheon.
For the Advanced Leadership Workshops
, registration is $195 for League-member city elected officials and staff, and includes a six-hour workshop, breakfast and lunch.
If you have any questions, please contact Caitlin Cole