Legislators introduced more than 70 bills this session to address fire-related policies such as forest management, vegetation management near utility equipment, utility liability and residential property insurance.
Senate President pro Tem Toni Atkins (D-San Diego) and Assembly Speaker Anthony Rendon (D-Lakewood) have recently convened a 10-member joint conference committee to work on the complex issues related to wildfires.
The committee comprises the following members:
- Co-Chair: Sen. Bill Dodd (D-Napa)
- Co-Chair: Assembly Member Chris Holden (D-Pasadena)
- Sen. Anthony Cannella (R-Ceres)
- Sen. Ben Hueso (D-San Diego)
- Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson (D-Santa Barbara)
- Sen. Jeff Stone (R-Riverside County)
- Assembly Member Brian Dahle (R-Bieber)
- Assembly Member Chad Mayes (R-Yucca Valley)
- Assembly Member Eloise Gomez Reyes (D-San Bernardino)
- Assembly Member Jim Wood (D-Healdsburg)
League members have also been discussing various aspects of wildfire response all year. Recently, several League policy committees and the Board of Directors have adopted policy regarding funding for fire response and pre-positioning, transparent residential insurance policies, protecting cities from additional liability risks and insurance that ensures residents have the ability to rebuild after a fire.
The Legislature is on summer recess for the rest of the month. They will return for a final four-week stretch before adjourning the 2018 legislative session at the end of August. Any proposals made by this conference committee or the administration would have to be heard and voted on by Aug. 31.