The plan to hold a conference committee was announced the last week of the legislative session when it became apparent that an agreement on how to address the transportation funding shortfall was not imminent. The conference committee is expected to begin a series of hearings by mid-October.
Conference Committee Members
- Jimmy Gomez, co-chair (D-Los Angeles);
- Autumn Burke (D-Inglewood);
- Kevin Mullin (D-South San Francisco);
- Jay Obernolte (R-Big Bear Lake); and
- Melissa Melendez (R-Lake Elsinore).
- Jim Beall, co-chair (D-San José);
- Ben Allen (D-Santa Monica);
- Connie Leyva (D-Chino);
- Anthony Cannella (R-Ceres); and
- Ted Gaines (R-El Dorado Hills).
Those familiar with the legislative process will recognize that this conference committee has more than the typical six members. While no specific reason was given for the deviation, the League applauds the Legislature for including as many members as possible in this important discussion. Transportation funding is complex and has many different facets. With more members on the committee, it is more likely that all sides of the issue will be considered in the negotiations.
The League remains committed to advocating for additional funding and streamlining measures to address the 10-year, $78 billion funding shortfall for the local streets and roads system. The League is a member of Fix Our Roads
, a broad coalition of local government, labor, and business stakeholders working toward an agreement.