With policy committees now complete, many bills will head to appropriations committees or straight to the Senate or Assembly floor.
Once the Legislature returns, cities will need to remain vigilant as we enter the time period of final negotiations on pending bills, with other “gut and amend” proposals appearing in print with little notice. In addition, the League will be heavily engaged in the efforts to secure additional funding for maintenance of local streets and roads in the extraordinary session on transportation. Below is a list of bills on which the League has positions and where they will next be heard upon the Legislature’s return. City officials are encouraged to review these measures and take advantage of the summer break to weigh in on bills important to your community.
League Legislative Webinar
The League’s Legislative Advocates will be hosting a Summer Break/End of Session Webinar on Tuesday, Aug. 11 from 10 to 11:30 a.m. To view the event announcement and register visit the League’s website
To access any bill on this list, the League’s position letter and sample letters, please go to www.cacities.org/billsearch
and plug in the bill number into the search box.
A full listing
of Senate and Assembly hearings is available online. Hearing times are subject to change. Bill language and any available position letters on legislation can be found through the bill search function on the League’s website
Bills in Appropriations
Monday, Aug. 17
Senate Appropriations, 10 a.m., State Capitol, Room 4203
- HOT AB 2 (Alejo) Community revitalization authority. League position: Support.
- AB 22 (Rodriguez) Office of Emergency Services: oil-by-rail spills: firefighters. League position: Support.
- HOT AB 35 (Chiu) Income taxes: credits: low-income housing: allocation increase. League position: Support.
- AB 88 (Gomez) Sales and use taxes: exemption: energy or water efficient home appliances. League position: Oppose unless Amended.
- AB 254 (Hernández, Roger) Election dates. League position: Oppose unless Amended.
- HOT AB 266 (Bonta) Medical cannabis. League position: Support.
- AB 388 (Chang) Housing: veterans: supportive and transitional housing: reports. League position: Support.
- HOT AB 744 (Chau) Planning and zoning: density bonuses. League position: Oppose.
- AB 988 (Stone) Outdoor Environmental Education and Recreation Grants Program. League position: Support.
- AB 1157 (Nazarian) Property taxation: certified aircraft assessment. League position: Support.
- AB 1222 (Bloom) Tow trucks. League position: Support.
- AB 1223 (O’Donnell) Emergency medical services: ambulance transportation. League position: Support.
- AB 1236 (Chiu) Local ordinances: electric vehicle charging stations. League position: Oppose unless Amended.
- AB 1347 (Chiu) Public contracts: claims. League position: Oppose.
Senate Budget and Fiscal Review Committee (No Date Set)
Bills on the Floor
- HOT AB 113 (Budget Committee) Redevelopment Dissolution. League position: Oppose unless Amended.
- HOT AB 36 (Campos) Local government: federal surplus property. League position: Oppose.
- HOT AB 718 (Chu) Local government: powers. League position: Oppose.
- HOT SB 16 (Beall) Transportation funding. League position: Support.
- HOT AB 1335 (Atkins) Building Homes and Jobs Act. League position: Support.
- HOT SB 175 (Huff) Peace officers: body-worn cameras. League position: Support.