Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer Caucus
The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Queer (LGBTQ) Caucus is a diversity caucus organized within the League of California Cities. The LGBTQ Caucus was established under the bylaws of the League of California Cities in 2007.
The mission of the LGBTQ Caucus is to provide GLBT municipal officials and their colleagues with a forum to share ideas and develop leadership experience. The LGBTQ caucus provides resources for city officials to discuss League priorities and issues, and offer avenues for communicating with the state's GLBT constituency. The LGBTQ caucus is dedicated to developing advancement opportunities for individuals in the GLBT community, to taking leadership roles in community activities and encouraging individuals to seek public office.
Goals of the LGBTQ Caucus
- Providing a forum for the GLBT community within the framework of the League of California Cities.
- Encouraging the active involvement and full participation of Gay, Lesbian Bisexual and Transgender municipal officials (and their non-gay supporters) in the organization and programs of the League of California Cities.
- Serving as a key resource to LCC in identifying and providing names, qualifications, expertise, and interests of Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender elected and appointed officials for consideration for service in various League of California Cities roles— both board appointed and League of California Cities elected positions.
- Connecting city officials sharing similar characteristics with one another promotes the League's mission of facilitating the sharing of information and ideas among city officials and promoting responsive city government.
- Playing an active role in accomplishing the League's strategic goals.
League GLBT Diversity Group Officers
- President: Catherine Carlton, council member, Menlo Park
- Vice President: Lisa Middleton, council member, Palm Springs
- Secretary/Treasurer: Larry Blunden, treasurer, Signal Hill
- Board Member: Joel Fajardo, council member, San Fernando
- Board Member: Keir Jones, city clerk, Signal Hill
- Board Member: Henry Nickel, council member, San Bernardino
- Board Member: Gabriel Quinto, mayor, El Cerrito
- Past President: Larry Forester, council member, Signal Hill
The LGBTQ Caucus debuted the newest version of its publication "Transgender in the Workplace: A Guide for Municipalities" at the 2018 Annual League Conference and Expo. This guidebook is a resource of road maps and best practices and includes recent changes to laws and regulations regarding transgender individuals. Use it as a tool to implement good public policy for current or future transgender and gender non-conforming employees.
Upcoming Events & MeetingsTBA
Please contact the LGBTQ Caucus for additional information and sponsorship opportunities for the LGBTQ Reception at the 2019 League Annual Conference in Long Beach.
Membership is open to anyone who adheres to the Caucus mission and goals. Please read the letter of invitation from our president. To join, download the membership form, complete and send with membership dues to League of California Cities, 1400 K Street, Sacramento, CA 95814. If you wish to pay via credit card please visit the onine payment portal.
Please email the LGBTQ caucus with any inquiries about membership information and/or caucus activities.