Speaking on behalf of the co-founding organizations, the League and the California State Association of Counties, Matt Cate, CSAC executive director, provided an overview on Thursday morning on how U.S. Communities provides world class procurement resources and solutions to cities and counties. The cooperative program lowers costs on the goods and services local agencies utilize by aggregating the purchasing power of over 90,000 public agencies nationwide.
Cate stressed to the public works professionals that not only do public agencies experience an average cost savings of 10 percent, the program saves staff time and resources because the products, services and solutions available through U.S. Communities competitively bid contracts can eliminate the need for a city or county to go through a separate RFP process.
U.S. Communities offers:
- Over 35 U.S. Communities suppliers offering a range of products, services and solutions.
- Quality Brands: Thousands of the best brands in a wide variety of categories, services and solutions.
- 10 percent average saving available to all agencies regardless of an agency’s size or spend.
- Meets Local Needs: Green solutions, a rebate program through The Home Depot and local purchasing options through women and minority owned business.
- Lead Agency Conduct RFP Solicitation Process: RFPs are conducted by a U.S. Communities lead agency advisory board member. Members of the advisory board assist the lead agency in reviewing and evaluating the RFPs. The advisory board is comprised of 27 public agencies from throughout the United States, including four from California.
- Transparent: U.S. Communities’ process RFP process, contracting award and pricing is transparent and protects participating public agency’s ethical, legal and financial interest.
- Oversight by Public Purchasing Professionals: Third party audits on contracts ensure that program pricing commitments are met, with benchmark analyses against other suppliers and retailers to guarantee participants the best overall value.
- Dedicated staff with regional program managers who are knowledgeable about public agency needs and the products, services and solutions available through U.S. Communities to meet those needs.