The Senate took this action last Friday.
On the redevelopment dissolution issue, both houses adopted placeholder language while discussions continue.
During Wednesday’s hearing, Assembly Member Mark Stone (D-Scotts Valley) asked Assembly Member Adrin Nazarian (D-Sherman Oaks), chair of the Assembly Budget Subcommittee #4 on State Administration, about the significant issues cities have with the proposal. These were acknowledged and will be part of further budget discussions. The League’s position on the proposal contained in the May Budget Revise is detailed in the League’s opposition letter
sent to the Budget Subcommittee #4 in each the Assembly and the Senate.
Public Safety Funding
Another issue being tracked by the League is grant funding for front line public safety.
The Assembly Budget Committee approved $40 million to be allocated to be earmarked as follows:
- $20 million is to be allocated as originally proposed in Gov. Jerry Brown’s Budget;
- $5 million is to be earmarked for grants for local agencies that want to acquire body cameras; and
- $15 million will be made available to police departments that submit data on use of force incidents by law enforcement officers resulting in either death or hospitalization.
Likely there will be a specific format and reporting method that the state will require. Once that data is submitted, local police departments obtain access to the funds. The League is reviewing this proposal in conjunction with the California Police Chiefs Association.
Budget Conference Committee
The Legislature is constitutionally required to send the Governor a budget by June 15 for implementation on July 1 of each year.
The members of the joint FY 2015-16 Budget Conference Committee
were announced on Thursday. This committee comprises six members, two Democrats and one Republican from each house of the Legislature.
- Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco), chair
- Assembly Member Shirley Weber (D-San Diego), vice chair
- Sen. Ricardo Lara (D-Bell Gardens)
- Sen. Jim Nielsen (R-Gerber)
- Assembly Member Richard Bloom (D-Santa Monica)
- Assembly Member Melissa Melendez (R-Lake Elsinore)
The Budget Conference Committee will begin meeting
on Monday, June 1 in the State Capitol, Room 4203.