Health Benefits Marketplace
FLEXIBLE BENEFIT SOLUTIONS FOR YOUR EMPLOYEES AND RETIREES
The League of California Cities Health Benefits Marketplace™ (HBM) gives cities the ability to redesign their approach to medical insurance for active employees and retirees, allowing participants to align coverage with their individual needs. The HBM provides cities the flexibility lacking in other group coverage medical plan designs to decouple and unbundle active employee and retiree costs, which is key to reducing OPEB liabilities.
Overall, the League’s HBM:
- Reduces OPEB liability by transitioning retirees from active employee group plans to the individual market;
- Provides a range of plan designs from low deductible HMO and PPO coverage to consumer-directed health plans with a range of deductible levels, including plans that are HSA and HRA compatible;
- Offers employees more personalized choice in their benefit options so an employee may select coverage that best fits his/her individual or family needs and financial situation;
- Includes voluntary benefit carriers with product offerings covering identity theft protection services along with Accident, Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity, Life, Cancer, Disability, Dental, Vision and Pet insurance coverage;
- Provides a Wellness program option for employers;
- Reduces the administrative burden for internal benefits staff while offering a solution to stay compliant with Affordable Care Act (ACA) regulations;
- Provides Medicare and Pre-65 Retirees a greater choice of plans, including viable out-of-state options;
- Offers a comprehensive analysis of the potential impact of the HBM on a city’s OPEB liabilities;
With guidance from the League’s OPEB Task Force and Health Insurance Exchange Advisory Committee, the League has selected Connecture and Willis Towers Watson to provide and operate the platform required to offer a health benefits marketplace for member cities.