League Strategic Goal on Housing
One of the four strategic goals for 2017 adopted by the League's board of directors and other organization leaders focuses on housing afforrdability. This goal shapes how the League engages on housing legislation and other policy proposals.
- Improve the Affordability of Workforce Housing and Secure Additional Funds for Affordable Housing. Increase state and federal financial support, reduce regulatory barriers, and provide additional incentives and local financial tools to address the affordability of workforce housing and increase the availability of affordable housing.
Blueprint for More Housing
Local elected leaders are acutely aware of the severity of California’s housing affordability crisis and our role in fashioning solutions. While numerous factors are contributing to the problem, it is agreed that more needs to be done to create a path for and streamline new housing
construction. Local governments do not build homes. But cities are
responsible for planning and land use decisions that allow housing to be built.
The League of California Cities is sponsoring Senate Bill 540 by Senator Richard Roth as a means of planning for and streamlining housing approvals and construction.
Blueprint for More Housing Legislation
In the News
- South San Francisco Council Member and League First Vice President Rich Garbarino, California bill would speed up housing construction, retain local control, San Francisco Chronicle, June 27, 2017
- Rancho Cordova Council Member David Sander letter to the editor, Cities' Alternative to Housing Crunch, Sacramento Bee, March 9, 2017
- Carolyn Coleman letter to the editor response to Orange County Register editorial on housing, March 3, 2017
- Op-Ed by Carolyn Coleman: Local governments can create blueprint for more housing, The Sacramento Bee. Feb. 20, 2017
- Governor Brown to City Governments: It’s on you to make California affordable again, StreetsBlogCal, Jan. 12, 2017
- Cities in need of state help on housing issues, op-ed by League President and Lodi City Council Member JoAnne Mounce, The Stockton Record, Jan. 5, 2017
- 2017-18 Legislature Sworn In, Senate Introduces Package of Infrastructure and Housing Bills, CA Cities Advocate, Dec. 9, 2016
- Sens. Atkins and Beall Introduce Key Affordable Housing Legislation, CA Cities Advocate, Dec. 9, 2016
Recent Reports that Focus on Local Government Permitting and Approval Process
- Draft 2025 Housing Assessment: “California’s Housing Future: Challenges and Opportunities.”
- Housing, Land Use and Development White Paper: Understanding and Challenging Opposition to Housing Construction in California’s Urban Areas, Paavo Monkkoen, associate professor, Urban Planning, University of California Los Angeles, Dec. 1, 2016
- McKinsey Report: Closing California's housing gap, October 2016
- Borrowing Innovation, Achieving Affordability: What We Can Learn From Massachusetts Chapter 40B, Terner Center for Housing Innovation, University of California Berkeley, August 2016