The League does not prepare or post model ordinances, recognizing that individual cities may approach issues differently and one approach for a city may not be ideal for another. Accordingly, here are our disclaimers about the ordinances posted:
- The ordinances have been adopted by individual member cities and provided to the League for informational purposes. They are posted as a resource for the same informational purposes. They have not been reviewed by the League’s attorneys and do not constitute legal advice.
- The League does not endorse any ordinance as the only valid approach, recognizing that municipal codes vary and must be approached individually.
- City staff and elected officials should consult with their city attorney to prepare an ordinance that is appropriate for that city.
Sample Ordinances Regulating Marijuana
Ordinances Prohibiting Cultivation, Processing, Delivery, Dispensaries or Some Combination Thereof:
- City of Ceres: Prohibits cultivation and deliveries.
- City of Eastvale: Prohibits commercial cannabis activities, deliveries, and cultivation.
- City of Jackson: Prohibits cultivation, delivery and dispensaries.
- City of Lathrop: Prohibits cultivation, processing and storage.
- City of Live Oak: Prohibits cultivation and dispensaries.
- City of Lodi: Prohibits delivery and processing.
- City of Los Banos: Prohibits dispensaries, delivery, cultivation, and processing.
- City of Manteca: Prohibits cultivation, deliveries, transportation and storage.
- City of Merced: Prohibits commercial cannabis activities, deliveries, and cultivation.
- City of Newman: Prohibits business licenses for dispensaries, commercial cannabis activity, distribution, cultivation, delivery, testing, or processing; prohibits commercial cannabis activity, delivery, activity for which a state license is required under the MMRSA, cultivation; will apply to recreational marijuana if legalized in the future.
- City of Newport Beach: Prohibits cultivation, processing, delivery and dispensaries.
- City of Petaluma: Prohibits dispensaries, cultivation, deliveries, and commercial cannabis activity generally.
- City of Riverbank: Prohibits dispensaries and outdoor cultivation.
- City of San Marcos : Prohibits cultivation, processing, delivery and dispensaries.
- City of Waterford: Prohibits commercial cannabis activities, deliveries, and cultivation.