The Orange County Division is comprised of the cities in Orange County, and provides members with the opportunity to exchange ideas and information and share the advantages of cooperative advocacy for local control. 30 of the 34 cities in Orange County are members of the Orange County Division (non-member cities are indicated with *). It includes:
- Over 3 million people (second most densely populated county in California);
- 3rd most populous in California, 6th most populous in the United States of America; and
- Over 200 city elected officials.
Rancho Santa Margarita
San Juan Capistrano
"Like" the division's facebook page to see timely news, legislative and event updates important to cities.
The Orange County Division is governed by a 13-member Board of Directors under the leadership of a Division President. The Division serves as an integral part of the grassroots advocacy core of the League. City Officials, both elected and professional city staff, work closely to develop regional informational programs and carry out grassroots activities to support specific legislative, regulatory and ballot measure goals.
The Division also hosts General Membership meetings which focus on issues germane to local government, and have included high-level speakers including the State Legislative Analyst, the State Controller, and numerous State Senators and Assembly Members.
Rotated regionally throughout Orange County, city elected officials, city managers and professional city staff all attend the Division’s General Membership meetings to get briefed on statewide issues impacting the local government sector.
The Orange County Division's General Membership meetings also provide attendees an opportunity to share and discuss strategies for strengthening cities' collective voice for increased advocacy in the State Capitol.
Division Members also participate in the development of statewide League policy through direct representation on the following:
- League Board of Directors;
- Policy Committees covering eight subject areas;
- Annual Conference Resolution Committee; and
- The Annual Conference Program Committee.
The Division is directly managed by Public Affairs Regional Manager Tony Cardenas, who is based locally in Orange County for the purpose of providing the Membership direct access to the League of California Cities and its statewide assets. If you need to contact Tony directly, please call (714) 766-9290, or email email@example.com
2015 Orange County Division Board of Directors
- President - Scott Nelson, Council Member, Placentia
- First Vice President - Laurie Davies, Mayor Pro Tempore, Laguna Niguel
- Second Vice President - Steve Hwangbo, Council Member, La Palma
- State League Director - Scott Nelson, Mayor, Placentia
- Large City Representative - Jim Katapodis, Council Member, Huntington Beach
- Large City Representative - Michelle Martinez, Council Member, Santa Ana
- Large City Representative - Ed Sachs, Council Member, Mission Viejo
- First District Representative - Steve Nagel, Council Member, Fountain Valley
- Second District Representative - Vacant
- Third District Representative - Steven Choi, Mayor, Irvine
- Fourth District Representative - Elizabeth Swift, Council Member, Buena Park
- Fifth District Representative - Vacant
- City Manager Representative - Sean Joyce, City Manager, Irvine
2015 Division Policy Committee Representatives