The purpose of the Public Works Officers Department is to:
- To promote the purposes and goals in the League of California Cities Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws.
- To serve as a technical and advisory department to the League of California Cities including participation on League Policy Committees through the analysis and development of position recommendations on pending legislation and proposed regulatory guidelines.
- To foster the professional and personal development of its members.
- To support the exchange of ideas with the County Engineers Association of California, California Department of Transportation, and other agency/industry representatives through the promotion and conduct of conferences, seminars, and related training methods.
- Advance the interest of cities by helping to develop, shape, and improve legislation and policies established that regulate the funding, development, construction, and maintenance of public infrastructure.
- Advance the interest of cities through the active participation on federal, state, and local committees and advisory boards.
2014-15 Department Officers
President – Bonnie Teaford, Public Works Director, City of Burbank
First Vice President – Timm Borden, Public Works Director, City of Cupertino
Second Vice President – Jay Spurgin, Public Works Director, City of Thousand Oaks
Immediate Past President – Keith Cooke, Principal Engineer, City of San Leandro
Department Director* – Randy Breault, Public Works Director, City of Brisbane
Executive Committee Roster
*Terms are for one year, ending in September, except the director who serves a two-year term.
Appointed by the department president, each department has at least one representative on each of the League’s standing eight committees that can provide technical information to the committee as a whole to ensure that the department has a voice in the decision-making process, and make recommendations to the board of directors on legislative and policy issues.
Visit the League’s Policy Development webpage to view upcoming meeting information, listed committees, and meeting agendas.
2014 Policy Committee Representatives
Administrative Services – Robert Newman, Santa Clarita, public works director
Community Services – Vacant
Employee Relations – Stephen Zurn, Glendale, public works director
Environmental Quality – Jay Spurgin, Thousand Oaks, public works director
Housing, Community & Economic Development – Uche Udemezue, San Leandro, engineering and transportation director
Public Safety – Keith Cooke, San Leandro, principal engineer
Revenue & Taxation – Deborah Chankin, Bellflower, public works director
Transportation, Communication & Public Works – Bonnie Teaford, Burbank, public works directorr
For more information about the appointment process, please contact Meg Desmond.
This committee was formed as an advisory body and comprises of city, county, state and federal officials who gather to discuss local, state, and federal problems and/or issues representing areas of statewide significance.