The Personnel and Employee Relations Department purpose is to:
- Promote the purposes and goals established in the League of California Cities bylaws;
- Serve as a resource to the membership of the department and other departments of the League in their dealings with human resource, personnel and employee relations issues;
- Assist in the sponsoring and support of necessary and desirable legislation to benefit municipalities, and to assist in opposing unfavorable legislation; and
- Provide a unifying structure for human resource administrators to contribute to the purposes of the League of California Cities.
The major activities of the Personnel and Employee Relations Department include:
- Providing networking opportunities
- Fostering professional development for human resource professionals in the public sector through a variety of training opportunities and services.
- Serving as a technical and advisory resource to the League through appointed policy committee representatives
2015-2016 Department Executive Officers
President - Debra Gill, City of Pleasanton Human Resources Manager
1st Vice President - Donna Peter, City of Santa Monica Human Resources Manager
2nd Vice President -LaTanya Bellow, City of South San Francisco Director of Human Resources
Department Director* - LeeAnn McPhillips, City of Gilroy Human Resources Director and Risk Manager
Past President: George Harris, City of Rialto Administrative and Community Services Director
*Department Director serves for a two-year term.
Appointed by the department president, each department has at least one representative on each of the League’s standing eight committees that can provide technical information to the committee as a whole to ensure that the department has a voice in the decision-making process, and make recommendations to the board of directors on legislative and policy issues.
Visit the League’s Policy Development page to view upcoming meeting information, listed committees, and meeting agendas.
2016 Policy Committee Representatives
Administrative Services – Elisa Cox, Asst. City Manager, Sierra Madre
Community Services – LaTanya Bellow, HR Manager, South San Francisco
Employee Relations – Debra Gill, HR Manager, Pleasanton
Environmental Quality – June Overholt, Deputy City Manager/Admin. Ser. Dir., Glendora
Housing, Community & Economic Development –
Public Safety – Donna Peters, Human Resources Director, Santa Monica
Revenue & Taxation – Christina Turner, Finance Director, Gilroy
Transportation, Communication & Public Works – Hernan Molina, Sr. Mgmt. Analyst, West Hollywood
For more information about the appointment process, please contact Meg Desmond.