The purpose of the City Managers Department is to:
- Promote the purposes and goals established in the League of California Cities Constitution and Bylaws;
- Serve as a technical and advisory Department to the League of California Cities;
- Strive for the continued acceptance and advancement of city management through professional accomplishment and ethical standards as embodied in the ICMA Code of Ethics.
- Seek the personal development and enrichment of its members through the promotion and conduct of conferences, seminars, and related training or communication methods; and
- Represent the International City Management Association as their official statewide organization unit and to maintain close liaison and working relationships with ICMA.
2017-2018 Department Officers
President – Jim Lewis, City Manager, Pismo Beach
President Elect – Kurt Wilson, City Manager, Stockton
Vice President – Reva Feldman, City Manager, Malibu
Immediate Past President – Dan Keen, City Manager, Vallejo
Department Director* – Tony Dahlerbruch, City Manager, Palos Verdes Estates
Southern CA under 100,000 Population – Mark Alexander, City Manager, La Canada Flintridge
Southern CA over 100,000 Population – Pat West, City Manager, Long Beach
Northern CA under 100,000 Population – Eric Figueroa, Asst. City Manager, San Ramon
Northern CA over 100,000 Population – Valerie Barone, City Manager, Concord
Terms are for one year, ending in September, except the director and at-large representatives, who serve two-year terms.
Pension Reform Committee
Committee on Diverse Communities
Chair: Bruce Channing, City Manager, Laguna Hills
Chair: Kurt Wilson, City Manager, Stockton
Appointed by the department president, each department has at least one representative on each of the League’s standing eight committees that can provide technical information to the committee as a whole to ensure that the department has a voice in the decision-making process, and make recommendations to the board of directors on legislative and policy issues.
Visit the League’s Policy Development webpage to view upcoming meeting information, listed committees, and meeting agendas.
2017 Policy Committee Representatives
Community Services – Sean McGlynn, City Manager Santa Rosa
Environmental Quality – Alex McIntyre, Menlo Park Town Manager
Governance, Transparency and Labor Relations – Peter Grant, Cypress City Manager
Housing, Community & Economic Development – Valerie Barone, Concord City Manager
Public Safety – Connie Jackson, San Bruno City Manager
Revenue & Taxation – Eric Levitt, Simi Valley City Manager
Transportation, Communication & Public Works – Chris Freeland, West Covina City Manager
For more information about the appointment process, please contact Meg Desmond.