Asian Pacific Islander Caucus
The Asian Pacific Islander (API) Caucus is a diversity caucus organized within the League of California Cities. The API Caucus serves as leaders to improve the quality of life, advocate on behalf of the API community, and provide resources to develop the next generation of leaders. Active in the development of public policy affecting our cities, constituents, and all of California, there are more than 100 API local elected officials in California.
Established in 2000, the API Caucus has a mission to provide Asian Pacific American municipal officials and their colleagues with a forum to share ideas and develop leadership experience. It also provides resources for city officials to discuss League priorities and issues, and offer avenues for communicating with the state's API constituency.
Board of Directors
- President: Polly Low, Council Member, City of Rosemead
- First Vice President: Wayne Lee, Council Member, City of Millbrae
- Second Vice President: Stephen Sham, Council Member, City of Alhambra
- Immediate Past President: Suzanne Chan, Vice Mayor, City of Fremont
- Treasurer/Secretary: Gilbert Wong, Council Member, City of Cupertino
- Director at Large: Rachelle Arizmendi, Council Member, City of Sierra Madre
- Director at Large: Jeffrey Gee, Mayor, City of Redwood
- Director at Large: Rishi Kumar, Council Member, City of Saratoga
- Director at Large: Jason Pu, Mayor, City of San Gabriel
- Director at Large: David Ryu, Council Member, City of Los Angeles
- Director at Large: Ali Taj, Council Member, City of Artesia
The League of California Cities® Asian Pacific Islander Caucus, the Asian Pacific Islander Capitol Association, and the CA Asian Pacific Islander Legislative Caucus Institute welcome Mayors, Councilmembers and API legislators to Sacramento on January 20th!
Please join us January 20th at 7 p.m. at Chops. Light appetizers and cocktails will be served.
View the flyer to see more information.
Recap of Events & Meetings
- Sept. 3, 2014 — The caucus co-sponsored a networking dinner with the Chinese-American Elected Officials (CEO). The event provided an opportunity for both organizations to get to know one another and to discuss possibilities for future collaboration. View photos of the networking dinner.
- Sept. 4, 2014 — A general meeting was convened in conjunction with the League's annual conference. The room was crowded with our supporters, which included league staff, members, and sponsors. The meeting effectively engaged our sponsors and supporters. At the meeting we updated our bylaws, installed officers, and set 2015 priority activities. View photos of the general meeting and installation of officers.
- Sept. 4, 2014 — The caucus hosted its Annual Karaoke Reception at the JW Marriott in Los Angeles. Our signature event was well attended by nearly 300 guests. Always popular, the event provided a great venue for our members, conference attendees, sponsors, and friends to network and connect. View photos of the annual karaoke event.
The API Caucus connects you to important policy makers in Washington D. C. and Sacramento including the California Constitutional Officers, the Legislature and the API Legislative Caucus as well as corporate and civic leaders. We open doors and build relationships with individuals who are in public policy decision-making positions.
To join, please complete either submit membership dues via the online portal or fill out the membership form and send with membership dues to:
League of California Cities
1400 K Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
Please contact Annie Lam, executive director at (916) 955-6766 for membership inquiries and API partnership opportunities.