The League of California Cities African American Caucus (LCCAAC) connects you to important policy makers in power. The LCCAAC works with the California Legislature, its Legislative Black Caucus, and corporate and civic leaders to build long-lasting relationships with the people who are in public policy decision-making positions.
About the Organization
Established in 1998, one of the African American Caucus' primary objectives is to promote diversity in the League of California Cities and the State Legislature through the development of symposia on topics vital to the African American community. The Caucus coordinates participation within the League's decision making process through membership on the League's board of directors, Policy Committees, Departments and Regional Divisions. The African American Caucus will continue its mission to advocate on issues of significance to the African American community.
The African American Caucus' mission is to represent the interests of African American city officials and the greater African American community within the League of California Cities, the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials, and related national organizations. This mission will be achieved by:
- Identification of issues of concern to the African American community
- Vocalization of those issues through sponsorship of educational seminars, visible position taking and heightened concerted involvement in the League of California Cities
To achieve its goals, the African American Caucus established seven ad hoc committees: Public Policy, Legislation, Education, Membership, Communications and Finance. These committees are responsible for planning and carrying out the range of Caucus activities throughout the year, including:
- Networking with the members of the California State Legislature and United States Congress to identify important legislation that affects the African American community
- Performing outreach and building relationships with state-wide and national organizations (e.g., the National Black Caucus of Local Elected Officials, NAACP, the Urban League, the Latino Caucus of the League of California Cities, etc.)
- Reviewing and making recommendations on bills in a manner consistent with the African American Caucus mission statement
- Developing educational symposia on important topics
- Recruiting new members through networking and educational events
- Obtaining corporate sponsorship, fundraising and developing long term sources of income for the organization.
For more information, please contact Paulette Brown-Hinds, Executive Director of the Leauge of California Cities African American Caucus at (951) 682-6070 or League staff Meghan McKelvey.